It was a long day of stress at work and you went home just to find out that the maid hasn’t finished her scheduled task for the day. It was a major inconvenience and you can’t help but reprimand her for lack of time management! The following days seem fine until you see bruises and scratches on your child. You cringe at the thought that the closest suspect responsible for the child’s scratches is your maid.
Do we need to immediately blame her for it? How can we know that the maid abused the child?
With all the rumors and terrible news of children being abused by their maids nowadays, we understand the parents’ concern and doubts on their maid’s honesty.
Ensuring our children’s safety while we are away is important. Here are ways to suggest on how to know if the child is really being abused and what are the ways to prevent it.
Where did the scars come from?
First and foremost, we need to ask ourselves this question. Some children tend to injure themselves while playing in a place we forbade them to go. In fear of being lectured by their parents, these children usually put the blame to the easiest patsy— the maid.
How can we know if the child is abused by your maid?
– Physical injuries
There is a way to identify if the injury was due to an accident or inflicted by someone. Injuries, cuts, and burns that have pattern, such as a straight line, or a circle are usually signs that they were hit or abused. If you see bizarre marks like this on your child, then he is most likely abused by your maid.
– Look for Shaken Baby Syndrome (SBS) signs
SBS occurs when a young child’s head was violently shaken or their heads are impacted. Its signs are: rigidity, tremors, irritability, vomiting, difficulty in breathing, poor feeding, difficulty staying awake. It can occur to infants or even older toddlers.
If mothers are suspecting their maids, we encourage them to lookout for the signs first before taking sides. We can be involved in our child’s certain activities like giving a bath or changing the child’s clothes so we can see telltale marks on the body.
Lastly, we must know our kids well. Some children are just clumsy they always fall and hurt themselves while playing. Some children also get the attention of their parents by whining on the slightest scratch. Is our child like this? If he seldom gets scratches and if he continues having complaints, then it must be time for us to pay special attention in their relationship with their nanny.
How do we prevent the abuse from happening?
Prevention is better than cure! While we are in good terms with our maid and the child is getting along well with her nanny, we may like taking different precautions before all the abuse happen.
1. Install a CCTV camera– Cameras will be our eyes in our home when we are away in work. We may want to monitor what’s going on in the house in our absence and hidden cameras would be a great help. We suggest installing them in the children’s room, living room, and kitchen. This will let you monitor your maid’s activities.
2. Make surprise visits– Abuse usually happens when parents are in tight schedule in their workplace. An unannounced visit in the house will keep us informed of what are the happenings when we’re not home. You can try alternate visits with your husband to observe the daily happenings
3. Warn the helper – A warning to the maid is a huge step on preventing abuses to happen. We can tell her what are the ways that work to make the child behave and add tips about how to win the child. A quick word with her about the consequences will more likely make her think twice about hurting the kids.
4. Treating the nanny right – The problem usually roots to the employer’s relationship with the maid. If we treat her well, chances are our family will receive the same treatment from the helper.
With these tips, we hope you can protect your child from abuse! We wish your family gets along well with the nanny. However if you want to monitor what happens at home when you’re not around, here is a list of the best selling nanny cameras to keep you and your family safe.
We offer delivery countrywide. You can also visit our shop In Nairobi, along Thika Road, Blessed House Opposite Garden City Mall 3rd Floor Room 306D.
Contact us on Phone: 0701626922
or visit our online shop at www.areaspy.com